Chief Bruce E. Hite wishes to remind the motoring public that children will be returning back to school on Tuesday, August 15, 2017, and to exercise caution and adhere to the rules of the road governing the school buses and pedestrians that will be more prevalent in using the roadways. The police department’s crossing guards will be directing traffic at designated crosswalks on N. Royal Avenue and E. Criser Road for the safe crossing of children going and returning from school and officers will be monitoring the new crosswalk area of Leaches Run Parkway leading to the new Warren County Middle School.
The Front Royal Police Department encourages everyone to practice the Town of Front Royal’s S.T.O.P.S (Smart Towns Observe Pedestrian Safety) campaign message below, when utilizing the public roadways in hopes that we all work together in keeping our streets safe.
- Wear light colors and reflective clothing at night
- Cross at crosswalks, whenever possible. Mid-block crossing in NOT recommended
- Look LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT and over the shoulder for turning traffic before crossing
- STOP for pedestrians who have entered crosswalks (marked and unmarked) while awaiting signal changes and at non-signal areas. Look LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT before crossing.
- DO NOT BLOCK CROSSWALKS when awaiting a signal change