Throughout October automotive repair shops across the country are looking to end breast cancer with a unique fundraising campaign.
During the Month of October, the Auto Care Clinic in Front Royal, VA and more than 100 other Independent Auto Repair Shops across the US are raising funds for a breast cancer vaccine as part of the Brakes for Breast fundraiser.
As part of the fundraiser, the auto repair facilities are giving away FREE (quality) brake pads or shoes. The customer simply pays the labor and any other ancillary parts necessary to complete the brake job and the shops then donate 10% of the brake job directly to Dr. Vincent Tuohy & the Cleveland Clinic Breast Cancer Vaccine Research Fund.
100% of what we donate goes directly to research!
2016 marks the sixth year for the Brakes For Breasts fundraiser.
- 2011 Our 1st year – 5 shops in Ohio raised $10,000
- 2012 Our 2nd year – 27 shops in 17 states raised $32,848
- 2013 Our 3rd year – 66 independent auto repair shops in 27 states raised $66,499
- 2014 Our 4th year – 143 independent auto repair shops in 29 states raised $115,236.53
- 2015 Our 5th year – 174 independent auto repair shops in 32 states raised $141,868
- 2016 Our 6th year – 131 independent auto repair shops in 35 states (most ever!) $125,867.37
This Brakes For Breasts fundraiser is different from any other breast cancer fundraising campaigns:
- Tuohy at the Cleveland Clinic has actually created a vaccine that has proved effective in laboratory animals in actually preventing breast cancer. Think about Polio, eradicated because of a vaccine, a distant memory for most generations. This is the same principle!
- After 14 long years Dr. Tuohy and his research team are just a year away from their first bedside trial.
- 100% of the proceeds from the ‘Brakes for Breasts’ fundraiser goes directly to the Cleveland Clinic for research on the Breast Cancer Vaccine.
- These are just “mom & pop” shops across the country, independent business owners that have joined hands for a great cause.
- The founder of this fundraiser is Leigh Anne Best, from Auto Care Clinic, of Medina, Ohio!
For more information about the Breast Cancer Vaccine and a list of participating shops go to www.brakesforbreasts.org, download our “Brakes for Breasts” app to your smart phone and like us on Facebook!
About The Auto Care Clinic:
The Auto Care Clinic is a locally-owned auto repair shop at 6768 Winchester Road in Front Royal, VA. Owners, Bill and Sandy Long, along with their team, are committed to high quality repairs and outstanding customer service. Contact the Auto Care Clinic, Inc. at (540) 635-BILL (2455) for more information, or visit our website at www.autocareclinic.biz.
About Dr. Tuohy:
Dr. Vincent Tuohy has spent the past 14 years working on a breast cancer vaccine that would both prevent the disease and keep it from recurring has secured enough funding to move the drug to clinical trials.
Dr. Tuohy is an immunologist at the Cleveland Clinic’s Lerner Research Institute and will head up the company, called Shield Biotech, as the Chief Science Officer, Shield Biotech, so named because the vaccine it is developing will act as a defense against breast cancer, is a spinoff-company created by Cleveland Clinic Innovations, the commercialization arm of the hospital system.
CLICK HERE for more info.