Fires and falls are among the leading causes of injury and death for young children. Some falls are from windows, but a window is also a means of escape in the event of a fire. Some cautions:
* When making an escape plan for your home, remember that children may have to rely on a window to escape a fire.
* If you open windows for fresh air, open those that are beyond the reach of young children.
* Don’t depend on a screen to hold a child inside. A child pushing on a screen could make it fall through.
* Make sure windows can be opened easily in an emergency.
* If you have window air conditioners, make sure a window nearby is available for escape.