NextHome Realty Select and their mascot, “Luke” the French Bulldog, are partnering with the SPCA of Winchester, Frederick, & Clarke Counties for the first annual Luke Day! From noon until 5pm, on June 15th, Luke will be at the SPCA adoption center at 111 Featherbed Lane, offering ½ price adoptions and other fun stuff.
Luke is excited to help his furry friends find their fur-ever homes. Stop by to adopt, and meet the fine folks from NextHome Realty Select!
Children’s activities at Samuels Public Library for the month of September
These are the events taking place in the Youth Services Department of Samuels Public Library during the month of September. Thank you for sharing this information. More information about Samuels Library and the programs and services available can be found at www.samuelslibrary.net or by calling (540) 635-3153.
Tuesday, September 3
- 11:00 Time for Baby. What do books, scarves, puppets, music and babies have in common? They are all part of Time for Baby. Join us as we use all of our senses to explore the world around us. “Happy Birthday” will be the theme this month. Meet with your baby up to two years of age. Siblings welcome.
- 4:30 Science Scouts and More. Kids will explore popular books and book series through science, games, food, and more! This month, our discoveries and activities will be based on the book Matilda by Roald Dahl. For ages 6 – 11. Registration begins August 3.
Wednesday, September 4 and Thursday, September 5
- 10:15 Toddler Story time.
- 11:00 Preschool Story time.
You’ll hear about them in stories, songs, and movies, but we also need them in real life… Heroes! Join us for stories, songs, and a craft. Siblings welcome.
Saturday, September 7
- 10:00 Books and Barks. Come to our extremely popular monthly program that gives developing readers the chance to read and relax with a trained therapy dog. For beginning readers and up. Choose a time slot at registration, which begins August 7.
- 2:00 Discuss This. Are you inspired by good books, articles, movies, and art? Do you write, draw, or enjoy playing music? If so, join us as we discuss books and share our creations. This is a group for those who wish to talk seriously about a variety of topics. Refreshments will be provided. For ages 12 and up. Registration begins August 7.
Wednesday, September 11
- 10:30 Children’s Sing-Along. Local musician John Kovac will lead and accompany the singing of children’s songs. Come ready to sing along with your friends and discover the instruments that Mr. Kovac uses.
Tuesday, September 17
- 4:30 Science Scouts and More. Kids will explore popular books and book series through science, games, food, and more! Based on the book Matilda, we will explore magnet manipulation and making things move with them. For ages 6 – 11. Registration begins August 17.
- 6:00 Homeschool Fair. Are you interested in homeschooling and want more information? Come learn about the state homeschool laws, local homeschool groups, and curriculum options. Join us in White Meeting Room B at Samuels Library to learn more.
Wednesday, September 18 and Thursday, September 19
- 10:15 Toddler Story time.
- 11:00 Preschool Story time.
Rrraauurrr! We’ll have a roaring good time with our dinosaur friends! Join us for stories, songs, and a craft. Siblings welcome.
Saturday, September 21
- 2:00 Dungeons & Dragons (Group A). Hail and well met, Adventurers! A new program is taking place for teens 13+. Dungeons and Dragons is an interactive, imaginative game that stimulates the mind with critical thinking, problem solving, and quick wits. New to the game? No problem. Our Game Master is prepared to help all learn the game and provide an enjoyable experience for all. Space is limited, so join up while there’s still room on the list!
Tuesday, September 24
- 4:30 Science Scouts and More. Kids will explore popular books and book series through science, games, food, and more! Based on the book Matilda, we will have a craft and game focused on the book. We will also have the chocolate cake from the book. For ages 6 – 11. Registration begins August 24.
Wednesday, September 25 and Thursday, September 26
- 10:15 Toddler Story time.
- 11:00 Preschool Story time.
Music is all around us! We’ll read some great stories, sing some songs, and have a craft all about music. Siblings welcome.
Saturday, September 28
- 11:00 Kooky Chefs Cook It Up: Fall Spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves! Oh, my! Children will make and taste recipes that include an array of yummy fall spices. For ages 8 and up. Registration begins August 28.
- 2:00 Dungeons & Dragons (Group B). Hail and well met, Adventurers! A new program is taking place for teens 13+. Dungeons and Dragons is an interactive, imaginative game that stimulates the mind with critical thinking, problem solving, and quick wits. New to the game? No problem. Our Game Master is prepared to help all learn the game and provide an enjoyable experience for all. Space is limited, so join up while there’s still room on the list!
This week’s showtimes at Royal Cinemas as of August 22nd
Are you looking for the full movie-going experience without having to wait in the long lines that often accompany that experience? Then look no further because Royal Cinemas movie theatre is the answer. Get the whole gang together and enjoy a movie! Here is a list of this week’s showtimes at Royal Cinemas as of Thursday, August 22:
Ticket prices are as follows:
- Adult: $9
- Child (under 12): $6
- Military: $7
- Student (college): $7
- Senior: $7
- Matinees, All Seating: $6
Other movies coming soon to Royal Cinemas:
- “IT: Chapter Two”
- “Gemini Man”
- “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
- “Zombieland 2”
Band of Brothers: Jesus Saves Tour at Skyline Ranch Resort September 14th
The Band of Brothers is a local music ministry dedicated to bringing Jesus to the community through music. As part of their on gong Jesus Saves Tour, they have scheduled an event on September 14th at Skyline Ranch Resort at 751 Mountain Road (Rt 619), Front Royal, VA.
Jeff Jenkins, a member of the band, said, “100% of the proceeds will go to the Warren County School Board Nutrition Department, so no kid goes hungry.” The Band of Brothers will be playing their eclectic mix of music along with others. Scheduled to appear is David Clanagan, Christ Rock, Watching East, Steve Foster and Gracie, Jay Powell and from Tennessee, Freddie Redmon.
Several speakers are also scheduled: Bryam Keyser, Rusty Pleasants, Breon Johnson and Brandon Stevens.
For more information, check out their Facebook page.
You’re invited to the Tree Stewards “All About Trees” class
WHAT MATTERS WARREN — The community is invited to an “All About Trees” class presented by the Tree Stewards (Tuesday evenings beginning 9/3). Watch this video to learn more about the class and about volunteer opportunities with the organization that keeps Front Royal/Warren County looking beautiful! Also learn a trick to easily spot poison ivy!
- Click here to register for the courses.
- Click here to learn more about the positive impact the Tree Stewards are having in our community.
“All About Trees Classes”
Each year the Tree Stewards offer the “All About Trees” course. Course participants learn proper planting, maintenance, and pruning of trees. Our knowledge of trees is constantly changing as we learn more about these fundamental elements of our natural world. These annual training sessions strive to keep up with this evolving knowledge.
Training will include:
- Basic tree anatomy, biology and life functions
- Soils, water and nutrition
- Selecting the right tree for the right spot
- Tree identification
- Tree ID Walk (field trip)
- Landscaping with trees
- Planting and site analysis
- Tree Health and care
- Pruning and identifying hazard trees that should be removed.
- Pruning Demo and Tools (field trip)
- Urban Forestry
- Class Tree planting
The program uses materials from “Trees Virginia,” developed by the Virginia Urban Forest Council. Classes are taught by ISA certified arborists, nurserymen, landscapers, horticulturalists, and Tree Stewards. The course ends with the hands-on planting of a “Class Tree.”
CEUs available for ISA Arborists.
2019 All About Trees Class
Classes will be held on Tuesday evenings beginning September 3, 2019, at the Warren County Government Center. Class Fee is $75 per person or $130 per couple. Early Registration Fee is $65.*
*From Tree Stewards website at https://treesfrontroyal.org/
A WHAT MATTERS INITIATIVE
Are you or your group in need of a free video that could be created to help market your cause or event? Beth’s WHAT MATTERS Warren videos post on Facebook and YouTube. They are also shared with the Royal Examiner online (most are distributed in their daily email blast to thousands of local residents). Sign up for Royal Examiner Email Alerts HERE and check out the “WHAT MATTERS Warren” tab under “Features.”
Visit www.whatmattersw2.com “Community” section to request a TOWN TIP or WHAT MATTERS WARREN BETHvid.
Learn more Beth’s nonprofit, WHAT MATTERS, a 501 (c) (3), at www.whatmattersw2.com – check out the “Community” section to request a TOWN TIP or WHAT MATTERS WARREN BETHvid or contact her at 540-671-6145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About WHAT MATTERS:
WHAT MATTERS is a 501(c)(3) that focuses on local and global outreach to help spread the word, support and raise funds for causes that matter (primarily through Facebook). WHAT MATTERS has ZERO overhead as 100% of the expenses are funded by Beth’s real estate business thanks to her clients and supporters. Every cent raised goes to the cause she’s promoting and most are matched by Beth. If you’d like to get involved, or travel to Africa with her on a future trip to work with the children of Light up Life Foundations, please visit www.whatmattersw2.com.
2nd Annual Peak Leaf Music & Brewers Festival to be held in October 2019
The second annual Peak Leaf Music & Brewers Festival is set to take place Saturday, October 19, 2019. This one-day event featuring LIVE music by Folk Soul Revival (Bristol, VA), The Dirty Grass Players (Baltimore, MD), The Plate Scrapers (Hagerstown, MD), The Fly Birds (Winchester, VA), and Justin Garber (Longmont, CO), will donate a portion of the proceeds to the Frederick County school system for student meals. Artists, merchants, and food trucks will be on site for a full day of celebrating everything LOCAL!
The festival is located at the corner of State Route 634 (Cougill Rd) and Route 11 (Valley Pike) on the north side of Middletown, VA. Day parking opens at 10:30 AM. The festival field will open at 11:00 AM, with live music from 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM. With the purchase of your ticket, you will receive a Peak Leaf tasting glass to sample beers from 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM. After 3:00 PM, beers are available for purchase.
Tickets can be purchased through the Peak Leaf Music & Brewers Festival website at www.peakleafmusicandbrewersfestival.com.
The Valley Chorale of Front Royal is seeking interested singers to join in their upcoming season
The VALLEY CHORALE OF FRONT ROYAL (formerly the Front Royal Oratorio Society) happily announces our new Artistic Director, Dr. Ryan Keebaugh. Interested singers may bring forth the song in their hears and join us for our upcoming season.
- Rehearsals begin Monday, September 9, 7:00 pm, at Front Royal United Methodist Church (1 W. Main Street, Front Royal).
- Ages 15 on up are welcome.
- There is no audition but singers are voice-checked to make sure they are singing within the proper section.