Connect with us

Crime/Court

Sayre – McDonald defamation suit continued to September 11

Published

on

Happier times for this odd couple – Tom Sayre and Jennifer McDonald during the ITFederal ground breaking ceremony. Social Media Photo

Approaching 6 p.m. after nearly five hours of testimony in Warren County Supervisor Tom Sayre’s defamation of character civil suit against former EDA Executive Director Jennifer McDonald Friday afternoon, Winchester-based Judge Ian Williams continued the trial to September 11 at 1:15 p.m. Sayre attorney Tim Bosson said he anticipated his client testifying for a half hour to 45 minutes that day, with a similar time frame anticipated in cross examination by McDonald attorney Lee Berlik.

Berlik also told the court he may call his client to testify on her own behalf that day. If he so chooses it is likely to result in more testimony than McDonald offered when she was called shortly after 1 p.m. Friday as the first witness for the plaintiff. It seems that the first thing that occurred when McDonald walked out of the RSW Jail on bond after two months in jail on Wednesday was the serving of a witness subpoena on behalf of the plaintiff.

When she was called to testify by Sayre’s attorney, Berlik alerted the court that “any and all questions relating to the EDA” would be met by his client’s right to assert her Fifth Amendment right not to self incriminate.

McDonald and her two real estate LLC’s are named as three of nine human and LLC defendants in the EDA civil litigation seeking recovery of about $20 million in allegedly embezzled or misdirected EDA assets. She is also facing 14 felony criminal charges handed down by the special grand jury empanelled to investigate potential criminality related to the Cherry Bekaert EDA fraud investigation and consequent civil suit filed March 26.

McDonald wasted no time in asserting her Fifth Amendment right. At least five out of the eight questions asked of her were negated by McDonald’s plea of the Fifth. Judge Williams upheld McDonald’s Fifth Amendment responses.

Questions she did respond to included confirming her December 2018 resignation as EDA executive director; an assertion that an old personal assets statement was outdated; and verification that text and email messages dated between June 6 and July 14, 2017 were actual communications between her and Royal Examiner reporter Roger Bianchini. Those texts and emails were introduced as plaintiff’s Exhibits 3 and 4. They were exhibits that would significantly come into play during later testimony.

In asserting the plaintiff’s claim for $25,000 in damages for defamation of character Sayre attorney Tim Bosson called a series of witnesses to illustrate that McDonald had spread the idea of his client’s involvement in both the EDA office break in of May 18, 2017, and a series of trespass and vandalism incidents alleged to be occurring at her home property through May and June of that year.

To a great extent those witnesses and their testimony revolved around the content of a note found at the scene of the vandalism McDonald reported occurring around 9 p.m., Thursday, June 15. According to the Warren County Sheriff’s Office investigative report, McDonald pointed out a crumpled piece of paper in her yard she indicated was not there earlier in the day when she cleaned her yard.

The note mentions several names and instructions to conduct an effort to terrorize McDonald that appears to include the EDA office break in McDonald reported on May 18, 2017, and continuing through a series of events at her home property. The names “Tom” and “Matt” appear on the note, as well as “the Examiner” where “Norma Jean” was purported to have been waiting for files McDonald reported being stolen during the May 18 EDA office break in about a month before the purported home rock-throwing vandalism.

Two phone numbers of alleged participants in the conspiracy are also present at the bottom of the note. They turned out to be the business numbers of Sayre and former Town Manager Michael Graham.

As they did at McDonald’s 2018 Halloween Day false police report misdemeanor trial, Shaw and Graham both testified they knew nothing of the note or its alleged conspiracy, as Sayre is likely to on September 11. And while Warren County General District Judge W. Dale Houff dismissed the false police report case against McDonald last year, he did observe of the note that “something is made up and something is horribly wrong with this”.

There was also something apparently terribly wrong about a story Royal Examiner reporter Roger Bianchini testified McDonald told him several weeks later about identifying a suspect in the masonry stone vandalism of June 15, 2017. The Royal Examiner reporter said that in late June or early July 2017 McDonald said that while several security cameras on her property had been vandalized during earlier trespasses, one less obtrusive one near her front door had remained in tact.

That camera recorded a facial image of the suspect, whom her private investigator had eventually identified as a petty criminal type and former client of Tom Sayre’s law practice. One of McDonald’s emails to Bianchini, dated July 14, 2017 appeared to verify Bianchini’s testimony.

“He talked with PI and PI has asked him to wire himself and go talk to the culprit. we do not want a he said/she said situation,” McDonald emailed in response to Bianchini’s query, “Anything good to report” about the investigation into the vandalism.

“So he admitted to his own Russia collusion – who is his ‘Putin’ pulling the strings?!!? … and is it a lone wolf or multiple Putins,” Bianchini responded about the masterminds of alleged conspiracy against her.

“He did and multiple putins, but the first putin asked him to do it,” McDonald replies.

“Is the first Putin our photo boy?” Bianchini inquires.

“Yes sir,” McDonald replies ending the e-conversation of July 14, 2017.

On direct examination Bianchini explained the “photo boy” reference related to an earlier, June 11, 2017 text from McDonald: “May have a tip that an elected official is in cahoots with what is happening to me,” McDonald texted.

“Someone I have been trying to find photos of for you,” McDonald added in response to a request for an “off the record” clue as to an identity.

The only person Bianchini said he and McDonald had discussed acquiring a photo of from local newspaper archives dating to 1989-90 was Tom Sayre around the time he arrived in this area sporting what Bianchini described as a radically-different look.

Private Investigator Ken Pullen was asked about McDonald’s representations about a suspect requested to wear a wire on Sayre in discussion about the plot against McDonald. Pullen testified under direct examination by Sayre attorney Bosson that he had initially been hired by the EDA Board of Directors around June 6, 2017 to investigate the EDA office break in. Drescher testified that McDonald asked her board to ask that FRPD be taken off the case because she did not feel comfortable with the direction of their investigation, which appeared to be moving toward the three EDA staffers with access to a key to the office since there was no sign of forced or unforced entry.

Drescher has previously said that the private investigator-driven investigation was eventually turned over to McDonald and encompassed events alleged to be occurring at her home.

Asked about McDonald’s June 11 text to Bianchini that there was evidence “an elected official is in cahoots with what is happening to me” and “No one else knows what is happening this is from my PI,” Pullen stated he had no such evidence.

“You didn’t tell her that?” Bosson asked.

“No,” Pullen replied.

Asked about the alleged effort to have a suspect wear a wire on a co-conspirator Bianchini believed McDonald had identified as Sayre, Pullen said, “No I had not,” adding, “I had no suspect – I did not have anyone wired up.”

If Sayre’s counsel focused on evidence indicating the former EDA executive director had spread his client’s name into the community as a suspect in criminal behavior targeting her, McDonald attorney Lee Berlik took a “no harm, no foul” line with plaintiff witnesses. He argued that the presence of Sayre’s phone number and name on the mysterious note had not meaningfully impacted the Shenandoah District supervisor’s reputation.

Repeatedly he asked plaintiff witnesses what they thought Sayre’s reputation in the community was and had it been damaged by the talk of his phone number’s presence on the note found at the site of the June 15, 2017 vandalism.

A number of witnesses, including Sayre’s fellow Supervisor Archie Fox, former Town Manager Michael Graham whose number was also found on the note, and former Royal Examiner Editor Norma Jean Shaw said they thought Sayre’s reputation was a good one and not been terribly damaged by the talk of his involvement in a plot against McDonald.

Only Bianchini said he thought Sayre’s reputation varied widely depending on who in the community you talked to. But he also failed to say whether he believed that reputation had been damaged widely by the rumor of his participation in an alleged criminal targeting of McDonald.

Asked how many people he told about McDonald’s contention about Sayre’s number on the conspiracy note, Bianchini estimated five or less – his Royal Examiner associate Norma Jean Shaw and possibly Publisher Mike McCool, Michael Graham because of the (202) number, another local reporter using only the four 7’s as a clue, and a girlfriend to illustrate how crazy his job was getting.

Berlik made a point of noting to those others whose name or phone number was on the note that they had not filed a defamation suit over their being implicated in a fashion similar to Sayre’s.

Only Shaw, who along with “the Examiner” was cited as waiting for allegedly stolen material from the EDA office break in, replied that she had considered filing a defamation suit against
McDonald, but added, “I don’t think she has any more money and it would be a waste of time.”

And now there is a five-week wait for the dramatic conclusion of the first of dueling defamation lawsuits filed by Sayre and McDonald against each other – stay tuned for more developments …

Things continue to get interesting on the EDA and related fronts at the Warren County Courthouse. Royal Examiner File Photo/Roger Bianchini

Front Royal, VA
43°
Clear
6:54 am5:58 pm EST
Feels like: 39°F
Wind: 5mph WSW
Humidity: 47%
Pressure: 29.91"Hg
UV index: 0
SunMonTue
37°F / 30°F
37°F / 23°F
39°F / 30°F
Regional News11 hours ago

Trump Vows New Tariffs, Attacks Supreme Court Justices After Ruling

State News11 hours ago

House Bill Gives Sex Trafficked Minors Immunity, Provides Social Services

State News11 hours ago

Virginia Lawmakers Consider Civil Suits, Penalties for Masked Law Enforcement

Regional News12 hours ago

US Supreme Court Rules Against Trump’s Tariffs in 6-3 Opinion, Dealing Blow to Trade Agenda

Local News13 hours ago

Ready to Unplug? Warren Coalition Challenges Community to Put Down the Phone

Local Government15 hours ago

Other Matters of County Interest Tackled on February 17th by the Warren County Board of Supervisors

State News18 hours ago

Bill to Ensure Lab Test Results Are Delivered With Maximum ‘Compassion and Humanity’ Clears House

Opinion18 hours ago

Commentary: Halfway Through the 2026 Legislative Session, There’s Still No Consensus on Data Center Bills

Local Government18 hours ago

Board of Zoning Appeals Sets Cap on Agricultural Pursuit in Residential Zone

Regional News20 hours ago

Virginia Governor Spanberger to Deliver Democratic Response to Trump’s State of the Union Address

State News20 hours ago

Court Halts April 21 Redistricting Vote, Siding with RNC and GOP Lawmakers

Interesting Things to Know20 hours ago

No Tax on Social Security: How It Could Affect Retirees

Obituaries20 hours ago

Richard Allen McInturff (1954 – 2026)

Obituaries21 hours ago

Barbara Ann Dotson (1942 – 2026)

Interesting Things to Know21 hours ago

The Iconic Blue FFA Jacket: A Symbol of Pride in Agriculture

Opinion1 day ago

Commentary: When Civic Rituals Fade, What Fills the Space?

Local Government2 days ago

Grand Avenue Residents Respond to Apparent Existential Threat at Town Planning Commission Meeting

Local Government2 days ago

Warren County School Board Approves $82.6 Million Budget After Heated Debate on Teacher Pay, Substitutes and Roof Repairs

State News2 days ago

RNC, Virginia GOP Lawmakers File Emergency Lawsuit to Stop Redistricting Vote

State News2 days ago

Legislature Considers Shifting Power Line Costs From Residents to Data Centers

Regional News2 days ago

Maryland, Virginia Congressional Delegation Enters the Fray Over Massive Potomac Sewage Spill

Historically Speaking2 days ago

Hawkeye and the Birth of the American Myth

Local Government2 days ago

SRO Report Shows 116 Incidents So Far This School Year, THC Vapes Remain Concern

Food2 days ago

What to Do With That Bag of Chopped Garlic

Food2 days ago

Maple-Flavored Feta & Mint Quinoa Salad with Maple Dressing