A magnifying glass can make it easier to read books, solve puzzles or enjoy a variety of other hobbies. Here are four things to consider when choosing one.
1. Lens size. The magnification power of a magnifying glass’s convex lens depends on its size and curvature. The smaller the lens and the greater the curvature, the larger objects will appear.
2. Intended use. If you only need it on occasion, such as to read a menu, a hand-held magnifying glass will do the trick. For more frequent use with brief tasks, consider a magnifying pendant. Otherwise, a tabletop magnifier (either with a stand or clip) is practical for prolonged, hands-free use.
3. Portability. A pocket magnifying glass is preferable for use outside the home, as it can easily fit in a pocket or bag. Opt for a folding model, which has the added benefit of protecting the lens when it’s not being used.
4. Weight. Hand-held magnifying glasses can be difficult to hold for extended periods of time. Be sure to look for a lightweight model. Furthermore, keep in mind that while a built-in light is a practical feature, it’ll also make your magnifying glass heavier.
To ensure you find a magnifier that suits your needs, test out a variety of options in-store. For even stronger magnification, consider getting a digital magnifying device.
Managing your finances during a pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the financial well-being of households across the country. While some people lost their jobs, others received wage increases. If you need advice on how to get out of debt or want to invest your money wisely, several professionals can help you manage your finances.
A certified credit counselor can assess your financial situation and provide personalized advice to help you get out of debt. However, if you need to file for a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, it’s advisable to work with a bankruptcy attorney. In addition to helping you file the necessary paperwork, this professional will represent you at court hearings and creditor meetings to look out for your best interests.
A financial planner can provide you with a complete picture of your assets and help you evaluate your investment options. Consequently, they can guide you toward a financially stable life and assist you in developing a plan to reach your goals.
However, it’s important to specifically work with a certified financial planner (CFP), as these professionals are the most qualified. Only they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and experience to provide you with sound financial planning strategies and solutions.
In addition, depending on your needs, it may be a good idea to get assistance from a registered investment adviser, portfolio manager, or broker. Just make sure you do your research. If you require help managing your cash flow or saving for your retirement, it’s important to choose the right professional for the job.
How to identify fake companies online
A cheap hoodie or fancy party dress may look like a bargain. But if you don’t recognize the company, look up the domain.
A domain is the name of the website, like: ThisIsADomain.com.
Domains are purchased from various online companies, and they are hosted by other companies. They have an IP address, which is a series of numbers that indicate a specific server.
Go to: https://whois.domaintools.com and type in the domain name. You will get a full internet profile of the business.
Look for these hints:
1. IP history. – If you see that thousands of IP changes on one domain, beware. It may be normal for a legitimate business to have dozens or even hundreds IP addresses over a decade. But it isn’t normal to have thousands over a year.
2. The domain was created within the past year, and it expires in a year. – Legitimate businesses will probably have an old creation date or at least a long-term expiration date. Legitimate businesses protect themselves by buying the domain for decades.
3. The registry is private. – Some legitimate businesses have private registrars. But legitimate businesses are not usually completely anonymous. You should see a legitimate address for information technology at a minimum. Scam businesses often register with a proxy company, but not all proxy registrations are frauds.
4. IP location is Shopify. – Many completely legitimate businesses have a Shopify address, but according to Time, Shopify has been much abused by scammers.
5. Review the “About Us” section. – That should have a company address, but likely won’t. If it is a short sentence, google it. If you find many websites using the same phrasing, beware.
6 jobs for people who prefer to work alone
If you’re self-motivated and prefer working alone, here are six jobs you may want to consider.
1. Private investigator. Although private investigators regularly have to meet with clients, they spend most of their time alone doing research from their office or following people from a distance.
2. Artist or craftsperson. Creating art usually involves spending a lot of time alone in a studio or sitting at a computer. For example, art restoration, sculpting, illustration, graphic design, and making ceramics are all excellent pursuits for people who value their alone time.
3. Truck driver. If you’re looking for peace and quiet, driving across the country delivering goods as a truck driver may be the job for you. However, you have to be OK with sitting still for hours on end.
4. Gardener or landscaper. If you dream about working outdoors and answering primarily to yourself, becoming a groundskeeper or landscaper could be an ideal fit.
5. Editor or translator. If you’re fluent in one or more languages, you could work as a freelancer and take on translation and editing jobs from the comfort of your own home.
6. Video game tester. If you enjoy playing video games and have a keen eye for detail, this job could be right for you.
Whether you’re an introvert or simply prefer working in a calm, quiet environment where you can focus, there are plenty of career possibilities that may be right for you.
Arts and crafts: Beautiful butterflies to brighten up your summer!
Do you enjoy crafts? Follow these seven steps to make colorful cardboard butterflies.
Here’s what you’ll need to make one butterfly:
• Construction paper (including one white sheet and one black sheet)
• An empty toilet paper roll
• A stick of glue
• A black marker
• A pencil
1. Cut a sheet of construction paper (in a color of your choice) into a strip that’s the same width as the toilet paper roll. Make sure it’s long enough to go all the way around. Glue the paper to the roll so that it’s completely covered.
2. To make the butterfly’s eyes, cut out two small circles from the black paper and two larger circles from the white paper. Glue the black circles in the middle of the white circles, then glue the eyes on the side of the roll near the top.
3. Using a black marker, draw on the butterfly’s mouth and eyebrows.
4. Fold a sheet of paper in half (you can choose a different color than the body). Use a pencil to draw the outline of a butterfly wing. Make sure the wing starts and ends at the fold as if it were the body of the butterfly.
5. Carefully cut along the pencil line, then unfold the paper. You should now have a pair of wings. Glue them on to the back of the butterfly.
6. Cut out circles of construction paper in different sizes and colors. Glue them onto the wings as decoration.
7. Use a pencil to trace two antennae on a sheet of paper. Cut them out and glue them to the front of the toilet paper roll on the inside.
You can display your beautiful butterfly on a shelf or use string to hang it somewhere in your home.
What you need to know about teething kittens
Kittens normally have a full set of baby teeth by the time they turn six weeks old. If they don’t have them by nine weeks, you should visit a veterinarian. Here’s what to expect from a teething kitten.
How to recognize the signs of teething
Teething can cause gum sensitivity and make chewing more difficult. Some kittens may also develop mild gingivitis. If you notice that your kitten has lost weight or has persistently foul-smelling breath, con¬tact your veterinarian. If your kitten likes to chew on things, make sure to keep electrical wires and poi¬sonous plants out of reach. You should also provide your furry friend with plenty of soft chew toys to help soothe any pain.
What to watch out for
Did you know that cats can have misaligned teeth much like people? If you think that your kitten’s teeth are starting to overlap or emerge at strange angles, visit your veterinarian immediately. In addition, make sure they’re eating enough by feeding them wet food or soaking their kibble in warm water.
For personalized recommendations, contact a trusted veterinarian.
12 safe and fun outdoor activities for seniors
Are you looking for safe ways to enjoy yourself this summer? If so, here are some outdoor activities that’ll allow you to make the most of the season.
Grab your binoculars, and head out to look for birds in the park, a nearby forest or your own backyard.
Have a picnic
Enjoy a simple or elaborate meal in the quiet of your own backyard or at a nearby park or beach.
Go on a nature walk
Take a stroll on a boardwalk or a countryside trail, and recharge your batteries as you breathe in the fresh air.
Put your swing to the test on the most picturesque courses in your area.
See the world through your camera lens, and capture moments that fill you with wonder.
Do tai chi or yoga
Maximize the benefits of these gentle practices by doing them outdoors.
Visit a U-pick farm
Collect your own berries to make jams and desserts, or sample them right off the bush.
Break free of your daily routine, and find a serene place to unwind — around a campfire, for example.
Get away from it all, and focus on living in the present moment as you cast a line.
Leave the car at home, and (re)discover your community at your own pace.
Paddle your way to a great workout, or simply take in the scenery on calm waters.
Go to a drive-in
Set up the inside of your vehicle so you can watch a movie under the stars in total comfort.