Connect with us

Home

Choices in schools are changing

Published

on

About 90 percent of all schools in the U.S. are public schools, but the mix in the other 10 percent is changing.

Private school enrollment down
For grades pre-K through 12, total enrollment in private schools fell 134 percent from 7.3 million in 2006 to 6.3 million in 2016. Meanwhile, public schools saw an increase in their admission of 2 percent during that same period.

According to the Wall Street Journal, private schools took a hit during the 2008 recession causing a drop in enrollment at inexpensive Catholic schools. But the drop could also be caused by more choices in public schooling.

Charter school enrollment up
Charter schools saw an increase of 6 percent in the last 15 years with an enrollment of more than 5 percent of students in 42 states, according to niche.com.

The publicly funded but privately owned charters forge their own curriculums and often have values-based teaching.

Homeschooling steady — or rising
The number of homeschoolers is a matter of debate. Homeschooling rose in popularity from 1.7 percent in 1999 to 3.4 percent in 2012, according to the US Department of Education.

According to government figures, the percentage has held steady, with a slight decrease to 3.3 percent in 2015-2016.

The Home Education Research Institute estimates that homeschooling grew from 2 percent to 8 percent per year and is up a 25 percent in 16 key states.

Parents who homeschool generally cite bad school environment and a desire to give religious education or values as the reason for taking their kids out of public school.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Your Zombie Walk Shirt!

King Cartoons

Upcoming Events

Nov
14
Wed
7:30 pm Disney’s The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Disney’s The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Nov 14 @ 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Disney's The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Disney’s The Lion King JR. is playing at Randolph-Macon Academy starting on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 2:00 pm for two days only, through Thursday, November 15, 2018. Lasting approximately 90 minutes (including intermission), the[...]
Nov
15
Thu
6:00 pm Drawing Studio @ Art in the Valley
Drawing Studio @ Art in the Valley
Nov 15 @ 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Drawing Studio @ Art in the Valley
All drawing levels welcome. In this class we’ll work on creating drawings from still life, plaster casts, or reference photos. Learn and develop your abilities in composition, proportion, and rendering with artist and instructor Michael[...]
7:30 pm Disney’s The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Disney’s The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Nov 15 @ 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Disney's The Lion King JR. @ RMA Melton Memorial Gymnasium
Disney’s The Lion King JR. is playing at Randolph-Macon Academy starting on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 2:00 pm for two days only, through Thursday, November 15, 2018. Lasting approximately 90 minutes (including intermission), the[...]
Nov
16
Fri
6:30 pm Deck the Halls – Premier Gala @ Blue Ridge Arts Council
Deck the Halls – Premier Gala @ Blue Ridge Arts Council
Nov 16 @ 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Deck the Halls - Premier Gala @ Blue Ridge Arts Council
Each November, the gallery of Blue Ridge Arts Council is transformed into a holiday wonderland. Deck the Halls has proven to be a tremendous success over the past 15 years. Hundreds of volunteers participate in[...]
7:00 pm LFCC presenting “Women in Jeopardy” @ Lord Fairfax Community College | McCoy Theatre
LFCC presenting “Women in Jeopardy” @ Lord Fairfax Community College | McCoy Theatre
Nov 16 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
LFCC presenting “Women in Jeopardy” @ Lord Fairfax Community College | McCoy Theatre
The title of Lord Fairfax Community College’s fall play may be “Women in Jeopardy,” but the only danger audience members will face is laughing so hard they miss the next lines. This year’s show is[...]