Lefties make up an estimated 5 to 15 percent of the global population. Are you one of them? Here are seven interesting facts about being left-handed.
1. Certain disorders, including alcoholism and schizophrenia, may be more prevalent among left-handed people.
2. Left-handed people are at a slight advantage in certain sports, such as fencing, boxing and tennis, because most players are accustomed to facing right-handed opponents.
3. International Left-Handers Day is celebrated annually on August 13.
4. Evidence suggests that left-handed people are better at remembering events, whereas right-handed people are better at remembering facts.
5. Communication between the left and right sides of the brain occurs more quickly in left-handed people.
6. Nearly all kangaroos are left-handed, according to recent research.
7. Famous left-handers past and present include Babe Ruth, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey and Leonardo da Vinci.