Connect with us

National News

U.S. Supreme Court Permits Deportation of Another Half Million Migrants, For Now

Published

on

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court Friday said it will allow the Trump administration to remove deportation protections for more than 500,000 nationals from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela who were given permission to temporarily remain and work in the United States by the Biden administration.

The move by the high court — which permits the deportations while a lawsuit continues to work its way through the courts — came after a district court in Massachusetts in April blocked the Trump administration from ending the Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela, or CHNV, program for 532,000 people.

It’s the second decision by the Supreme Court this month stripping immigrants of some form of temporary legal protections, affecting more than 800,000 people in the country without permanent legal status who are now subject to swift deportation.

On May 19, the Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to end Temporary Protected Status for 350,000 Venezuelans who were granted the protection from deportation because their home country was deemed too unstable to return to due to the political regime.

Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin welcomed the ruling.

“Ending the CHNV parole programs, as well as the paroles of those who exploited it, will be a necessary return to common-sense policies, a return to public safety, and a return to America First,” she said in a statement.

Todd Schulte, the president of the immigration advocacy group FWD.us, said in a statement that the high court’s decision “penalizes half a million people for complying with our immigration laws.”

“This decision will have devastating and immediate consequences, and is part of a broader attempt by the executive branch to justify further immigration enforcement crackdowns against families across the country,” Schulte said. “The government failed to show any harm remotely comparable to that which will come from a half million people losing their jobs and becoming subject to deportation.”

Friday’s case is one of several immigration-related emergency requests the Department of Justice has brought to the high court, as the Trump administration aims to carry out mass deportations, wind down temporary legal pathways for immigrants and redefine the constitutional right of birthright citizenship.

No judicial review for parole, DOJ argues

In the emergency filing to the high court in Friday’s case, Solicitor General D. John Sauer argued that the Immigration Nationality Act bars judicial review of discretionary decisions, such as what is called humanitarian parole, for the CHNV program.

He added that Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem terminated the program because it does not align with the interests of the Trump administration.

Liberal justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ketanji Brown Jackson dissented.

“The Court has plainly botched this assessment today,” Jackson wrote in her dissent. “It undervalues the devastating consequences of allowing the Government to precipitously upend the lives and livelihoods of nearly half a million noncitizens while their legal claims are pending.”

She argued that the Trump administration did not prove it would be harmed by the preliminary injunction. An appeals court previously rejected the government’s request to put the lower court’s order on hold.

“While it is apparent that the Government seeks a stay to enable it to inflict maximum predecision damage, court-ordered stays exist to minimize—not maximize—harm to litigating parties,” Jackson wrote.

President Joe Biden created the CHNV program in 2023. It temporarily granted work permits and allowed thousands of nationals from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela to remain in the country if they were sponsored by someone in the United States and passed a background check.

by Ariana Figueroa, Virginia Mercury


Virginia Mercury is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Virginia Mercury maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Samantha Willis for questions: info@virginiamercury.com.

Front Royal, VA
75°
Showers in the Vicinity
6:32 am7:58 pm EDT
Feels like: 75°F
Wind: 4mph SE
Humidity: 75%
Pressure: 29.86"Hg
UV index: 0
SunMonTue
82°F / 59°F
82°F / 57°F
82°F / 59°F
Local News8 hours ago

VDOT: Warren County Traffic Alert for August  24 – 28, 2026

Local Government9 hours ago

Warren County School Board Reviews Visitor Rules, Special Education Support and Summer Meal Growth

Scott's Turn12 hours ago

Every Community Needs Champions

Local News13 hours ago

Fauquier Health to Join Bon Secours Mercy Health Network

Historically Speaking13 hours ago

Historical Travels: Beaver Lake, Utah

Mature Living15 hours ago

Why Your Birthday Is Worth Celebrating at Any Age

Opinion1 day ago

How Much Is Too Much?

Punditry & Prose1 day ago

When Leadership Forgets Who Wears the Servant’s Cloak

Obituaries1 day ago

Sanders “Ray” Rowe (1940 – 2026)

Local News1 day ago

Virginia State Police Report $8.5 Million in Drug Seizures During Weekly Operations

Town Notices1 day ago

Front Royal Lifts Voluntary Water Conservation Restrictions After Recent Rainfall

State News1 day ago

Virginia Health Department Improves Nursing Home Inspection Backlog, Reforms Sanction Criteria for Facilities

State News1 day ago

After Eastern Groundwater Report Detailed Aquifer Concerns, Virginia Lawmakers Consider Policy Shifts

Obituaries1 day ago

Rachel Judith Brandon Sears (1944 – 2026)

Obituaries1 day ago

Ingrid Jolly (1944 – 2026)

Local News1 day ago

Royal Shine Builds on Detailing Legacy With New Name, Same Focus on Quality

Business Growth Series1 day ago

Business Growth Series: Overthinking Is Slowing Your Business Down

State News2 days ago

Feds’ Proposal to Alter Head Start Could ‘Dismantle’ Program in Virginia, Parents and Advocates Say

National News2 days ago

Freedom 250 Grand Prix Brings First INDYCAR Race to National Mall

State News2 days ago

Judge Affirms Ruling in Favor of Former Felons in Voting Rights Lawsuit

Legal Notices2 days ago

ORDER OF PUBLICATION: In the Circuit Court for Warren County, Virginia

Common Ground with Coolidge2 days ago

Coolidge on Education and Careers

Food2 days ago

Gourmet Halloumi Burgers Bring Bold Flavor to the Summer Table

Crime/Court2 days ago

Warren County Supervisor Charged With Assault and Battery Following Meeting

Local Government2 days ago

Town Planning Commission Recommends Changes to Zoning & Deputy Zoning Administrators Appointment Processes