Connect with us

Automotive

Covered Bridges in Virginia

Published

on

Humpback Bridge - Virginia's Oldest Covered Bridge. Photos courtesy of VDOT.

In memory or imagination, covered bridges conjure up sights and sounds of days gone by. In Virginia, they began to dot the countryside nearly two centuries ago. Spanning rivers and streams, their number grew to the hundreds.

Eventually they gave way to their vulnerability to flood and fire, and to the technology that replaced the wooden peg with the metal bolt and the broadtimbers with narrow steel. By 1900, the overhead steel truss bridge had become the engineers’ design of choice.

Relatively few covered bridges survived into the early years of the 20th century. Most of them reflected the evolution in design of three pioneers in the annals of bridge construction:

Theodore Burr, who patented the Burr arch bridge in 1817

Ithiel Town, who patented the Town lattice design in 1835

William Howe, who in 1840 patented a design that combined iron uprights with wooden supports

Today in Virginia, only seven covered bridges still stand. Four have been preserved as landmarks and three are on private property. You are invited to visit these picturesque structures that span time as well as water.

Humpback Bridge – Virginia’s Oldest Covered Bridge

The venerable Humpback Bridge lays claim to being the oldest of Virginia’s remaining covered bridges.

Located in Alleghany County, just west of Covington, it was built in 1857.

It was part of the James River and Kanawha Turnpike and succeeds three other bridges at the site.

It stretches over Dunlap Creek, a tributary of the Jackson River that joins the Cowpasture River near Iron Gate to form the James River.

The first structure was built in the 1820s and was washed away by a flood on May 12, 1837.

The second fell victim to the flood of July 13, 1842.

The third, as the annual report of the turnpike company put it, “gave way” in 1856.

The 100-foot-long, single-span structure is four feet higher at its center than it is at either end, thus the name, “Humpback”.

Traffic across the bridge ceased in 1929 when it was replaced with a “modern” steel truss bridge.

Restoration
The bridge stood derelict — and was even used by a nearby farmer to store hay — until the 1950s.

The Business and Professional Women’s Club of Covington and the Covington Chamber of Commerce raised funds to have the bridge restored and preserved as part of Alleghany County’s history.

Humpback Bridge was reopened to the public in 1954 as the centerpiece of an attractive wayside.

In the summer of 2013, the Humpback Bridge underwent additional restorations using funds from the National Historic Covered Bridge Program.

Humpback Bridge can be reached from Interstate 64 by taking exit 10 to Route 60 and traveling one-half mile east, or by taking Route 60 west from Covington.

YouTube player

 

Meem’s Bottom Bridge

Meem’s Bottom Bridge

One of the best-known covered bridges is the 204-foot single-span Burr arch truss known as Meem’s Bottom in Shenandoah County.

Here it is possible to step back into the past, while less than a half-mile away the hum of modern-day traffic can beheard on Interstate 81.

The site takes its name from the Meem family that owned large landholdings in the area. This long span over the North Fork of the river carried traffic for more than 80 years before being burned by vandals on Halloween in 1976.

After salvaging the original timbers, the bridge was reconstructed and eventually undergirded with steel beams and concrete piers.

Succeeding several earlier bridges, the Meem’s Bottom Bridge was built in 1894. Materials were cut and quarried nearby for the massive arch supports and stone abutments, which extend 10 feet below the riverbed.

Previous bridges in this spot were washed away in the floods of 1870 and 1877. The next bridge, built in 1878, stood until it was replaced by the present bridge.

YouTube player

The bridge is reached easily from Interstate 81 at exit 269 between New Market and Mount Jackson. Follow Route 730 from the interchange for four-tenths of a mile to Route 11. Go north on Route 11 for nine-tenths of a mile to Route 720 and the west a short distance to the river.

It also can be reached off Route 11, four miles north of New Market and about two miles south of Mount Jackson.


Bob White Bridge

Bob White Bridge

On Sept. 29, 2015, the Bob White Covered Bridge was washed away during a flood.

In an effort to raise funds to rebuild the bridge, various events and fundraisers are being steered by the Covered Bridge Committee, a 501(C)3 organization in Patrick County.

Their plan is to rebuild the bridge with timber to match the original design and create a replica and historical kiosk from remnants of the bridge that were found after the flood.

 

Jack’s Creek Bridge

Jack’s Creek Bridge

Jack’s Creek Bridge crosses the Smith River in Patrick County on Route 615 just west of Route 8, about two miles south of Woolwine. The 48-foot span, built in 1914, has been replaced by a modern bridge but is being retained.

Jack’s Creek Bridge can be seen from Route 8 at its intersection with Route 615, or it can be reached by turning west two-tenths of a mile on Route 615.

 

 

 

Sinking Creek Bridge

Sinking Creek Bridge

The Sinking Creek Bridge (also known as Clover Hollow Bridge), a 70-foot span currently maintained by Giles County, was left in place for the property owner when a new bridge was built in 1949. It was built circa 1916 with modified Howe trusses.

The bridge is located just off Route 601 between Route 42 and Route 700, north of Route 460.

Front Royal, VA
63°
Clear
6:32 am7:59 pm EDT
Feels like: 63°F
Wind: 2mph S
Humidity: 96%
Pressure: 30.06"Hg
UV index: 0
SatSunMon
81°F / 63°F
82°F / 59°F
81°F / 57°F
Crime/Court11 hours ago

Warren County Supervisor Charged With Assault and Battery Following Meeting

Local Government11 hours ago

Town Planning Commission Recommends Changes to Zoning & Deputy Zoning Administrators Appointment Processes

Opinion12 hours ago

Supervisor Henry’s Conduct During and Following the August 18, 2026 Board Meeting

Obituaries16 hours ago

Ruby E. Fristoe (1937 – 2026)

State News18 hours ago

USDA Advances Roadless Rule Repeal; Advocates, Lawmakers Say It Puts 400,000 Acres in Virginia At Risk

National News18 hours ago

Violent Crime in US Fell at Record Pace in 2025

Interesting Things to Know21 hours ago

Simple Ways to Find More Inner Peace

Historically Speaking1 day ago

Number of Retiring U.S. Senators Ranks Among Top 5

Local Government1 day ago

DATA Centers Future Here, Changes in Zoning Text Amendment Procedures, and a Little Post-Meeting Drama for One Supervisor

Local News1 day ago

Missed the VA250 Mobile Museum? Another Stop Is Coming Close By

State News2 days ago

Balancing Optimism and Caution, Spanberger Says Virginia’s Revenues Grew $2.1 Billion in Fiscal Year 2026

Obituaries2 days ago

Lorraine Partlowe Dovel (1942 – 2026)

State News2 days ago

SCC Commissioner, Former NextEra Attorney Declines to Recuse Herself From Merger Case

National News2 days ago

Historic Preservation Group Asks Supreme Court to Halt Trump’s $400 Million White House Ballroom

Interesting Things to Know2 days ago

How to Control Your Lights With Your Voice

Community Events2 days ago

This Week’s Showtimes at Royal Cinemas as of August 20th

State News2 days ago

Spanberger Signs Executive Order to Boost Virginia’s Emergency Preparedness

Local News2 days ago

Middletown Secures Third Straight Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant

Local News2 days ago

Warren Coalition Plans Recovery Month Kickball Game, Picnic to Support Local Recovery

Local News3 days ago

Blue Ridge Wildlife Center Patient of the Week: Common Raven

National News3 days ago

DOJ Probes William & Mary Over Alleged Race-Based Scholarship Policies

Local News3 days ago

Royal Oak Computers Moving After 35 Years in Downtown Front Royal

Mature Living3 days ago

Why You May Feel Younger Than Your Actual Age

Local News3 days ago

Virginia Launches 25th Anniversary ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ Campaign

Community Events3 days ago

Selah Theatre Project to Open New Winchester Arts Center With ‘Come From Away’